In my last post, I provided a number of reasons for not pursuing weight loss this year.
But if you are not pursuing weight loss as your New Year’s Resolution, what are you to do instead?
Well, you can do nothing if you like!
I personally am not a fan of New Year’s Resolutions because they are normally centred around a belief that there is something wrong, lacking or inadequate about ourselves that we need to fix.
Having that negativity hanging over your head doesn’t sound like the nicest way to start a fresh new year!
And if you can’t achieve your resolution? Does that mean you remain a broken human in need of fixing? And that you are even more of a failure because you couldn’t fix yourself?
You can see how resolutions can quickly become a negative downward spiral.
Setting some anti-diet intentions for how you want to live your life over the next 12 months, might be a gentler option for you.
Here are some examples:
- I will listen to my body more
- I will be critical of diet culture
- I intend to engage in media that makes me feel good and dump the media that makes me feel bad
- I will find one thing each day in my life to feel grateful for
- I will live my life with compassion, nourishment and enjoyment rather than punishment and guilt
- I will be kind to myself and provide my body with the nourishment, water, rest and movement that makes it feel good
- I will not be afraid to take up space in the world
- I will remember that I am worthy
- I will accept that I am a human, that I am not going to live out these intentions perfectly, that I will make mistakes and that all of this is OK
Do you have a kind and compassionate intention you would add to the list?
Want 2018 to be different? Registrations for A Taste Of Mindful Eating, my six-week practical mindful eating skills online course will be opening on 9th January with a special discounted price for 48 hours only.
If you want to learn the practical skills of Mindful Eating, how to reconnect with your body’s hunger and fullness cues and feel calmer around food, jump on my email list and I will make sure you are the first to know when registrations open.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
There was an error submitting your subscription. Please try again.